Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Man and his Sick Dog

This morning at the clinic, my veterinary assistant ushered in a middle-aged man with his white, bony dog. He smiled at me coyly. I returned the gesture and offered him a seat while I readied the consultation form. After the history-taking, I proceeded to the examination table to get the dog’s vital signs. As I was about to take the dog’s temperature, he stood up, held my hand and said with a pleading eyes and shaky voice. “Doctor, I want to be honest with you. I don’t have a single penny to pay you. I just can’t stand looking at my sick pet doing nothing to relieve his malady. He is like a brother to me. For the whole week, I sat early in my shop in the street, hoping I could fetch the money for my dog’s treatment. Unluckily, I managed only a single shoe repair.” I was totally stunned. I was not prepared to hear a supplication like that. But I could feel the honesty of the man and felt his love for his dog. I nodded my head, and replied. “Oh, it was great of you to care of your dog. I will treat your dog for free.” I could see the tears swelling in his eyes as he repeatedly thanked me. After medicating the dog, he bid me a good day. As the pair were about to leave, the man turned to me and said, “Doctor, if ever you have damaged shoes, please bring them all to me and I will stitch them for free!”

No comments:

Post a Comment